Noble County Courts

Noble County Circuit Court

Circuit Court

Noble Circuit Court is the original, Constitutional Court of general jurisdiction in the county. By local rule the following general types of cases are filed in Circuit Court.


  • Adoptions
  • Probate (estates, guardianships)
  • Class B and Class C Felonies
  • Civil Suits
  • Dissolutions (divorce and custody)
  • Drug Court Cases

Judge Kramer

Judge Michael J. Kramer took office on January 1, 1991. He has served longer than any judge in Noble County history.

Judge Kramer received his Bachelor’s degree from Ball State University and his law degree from the University of Dayton, summa cum laude, where he was a member of the law review. Prior to taking office Judge Kramer practiced law in Ligonier with the firm of Heckner & Kirsch.

On December 14, 1999 he was named Distinguished Hoosier by Governor Frank O’Bannon, has been named Volunteer of the Year by Drug-Free Indiana, and has testified before the Government Reform Committee, Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy, and Human Resources of the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington, D.C. on the reauthorization of Drug Free Communities Act. In 2009 he was named Indiana Addiction Recovery Advocate of the Year as a result of his work to prevent and treat substance abuse. In 2010, Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America named Judge Kramer its Advocate of the Year.

 Judge Kramer serves as chair of Drug-Free Noble County and on the board of Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA), an international organization that organizes, trains, and advocates for community anti-drug coalitions. He is a member of the Advisory Council for the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addictions. He also is a member of the Albion Rotary Club.

The Indiana Supreme Court appointed Judge Kramer to be one of four judges in Indiana to be named resource judges for the State of Indiana and be trained in science and technology so as to be prepared for issues that arise in courts and he is a fellow of the Advanced Science and Technology Adjudication Resource Center. Judge Kramer has also serves on the Probate and Judicial Education Committees of the Indiana Judicial Conference.

Judge Kramer is an elected member of the American Law Institute and served as advisor on the Revision of the Model Penal Code sentencing sections. He is a member and past president of the Noble County Bar Association and is a fellow of the Indiana Bar Foundation.

Judge Kramer was appointed by Governor Mitch Daniels to the Governor’s Advisory Panel for the Indiana Grassroots Coalitions Prevention Initiative.He is a member of the Immaculate Conception Church in Kendallville and is a member of the Knights of Columbus.

Circuit Court FAQ's

Why can't I speak to the Judge directly?

Because in order for the Judge to remain impartial, he cannot hear one side of the case without the other side present.

What should I do if I'm the victim in a case?

Keep in contact with the Prosecutor’s Office and the Victim’s Advocate. They will keep you informed of how the case is progressing.

If I have an attorney, can I file motions on my own?

If you have an attorney, private or court appointed, the filings presented to the Court must come from your attorney. That is their job and that is why they are hired or appointed to represent you.

I have written a letter to the Judge, but I haven't received a response.

Many of the letters the Court receives are from family members of defendants and cannot be addressed by the Court. Those that are received from defendant’s themselves are addressed either by the Court setting a hearing, or if the defendant is represented by counsel, the letter will be referred to counsel.

What should I do if I can't make it to a hearing?

If you know you are going to be late for a hearing because of traffic or transportation issues, or other problems, call the court and tell them when you expect to arrive. If you know ahead of time that you will be unable to attend a scheduled hearing and need to request a continuance, you must do so in writing, and you must notify the opposing part of your intention to request a continuance. Motions to continue are available in the download section of this website. Phone calls for continuances are not accepted unless it is an emergency situation.

What if I can't afford to hire an attorney?

If you find that you are unable to hire an attorney and need the Court to appoint an attorney to represent you, you must make that request in writing. The Court will then set a hearing to determine if you are indigent for purposes of appointing counsel.

What if I want to check on the status of a case?

There is a public terminal located in the basement of the Courthouse. If you have access to the internet, you may click here and search for a case. Basic searches are free.

I think I missed a court date and there may be a warrant out for my arrest. What should I do?

If you think there is a warrant out for your arrest, you should turn yourself in to the Sheriff’s Department as soon as possible. If it is a civil case (i.e. child support), and a body attachment has been issued, you should turn yourself in to the Sheriff’s Department.

Can't I just call in for my hearing?

Hearings can be held over the telephone with consent of the Court. Call in advance to arrange it at 260-636-2128.

What if I have questions about my case?

Procedural questions may be answered by either the Clerk’s Office or the Court. At no time can any member of the Clerk’s office or the Court give you legal advice. Only an attorney may advise you. If you are told to contact an attorney regarding your questions, you should do so.

What if I need extra time to - pay my probation user's fee, pay my restitution, pay my ticket, pay my fines and costs, complete my community service work?

If you are on probation, you should contact your probation officer and let them know what the problem is. They can give you an extension. If you’ve already had an extension from the probation officer, they may tell you to contact the Judge. Do so in writing. Tell him what the problem is and how much extra time you think you will need.

How do I contact the court?

You may contact the Circuit Court Staff at 260-636-2128 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.